Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Doubling candy recipe

I need to make a large batch of caramels and am wondering if I can just double the recipe I usually use. As long as I bring it to the right temperature it should be OK, right?

asked by gluttonforlife over 5 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I haven't tried doubling caramels, but I have tried doubling pralines, and while it theoretically should work, it doesn't work well in my experience, and there's a lot more potential for disaster (ie, boiling sugar going all over the place). I'd play it safe and make it in two batches.

94044828 d989 4cb6 bb8c 0aa3b3325df6  caramels 3

absolutely. i double batches of caramel all of the time for my little candy operation (actually just finished cooking up a double batch of earl grey tea caramels this morning). just be sure to use a very large pot - it will bubble up a lot more than you expect and can easily boil over the top which is a bear to clean up.

I routinely double the toffee recipe I make at Christmastime, and as long as I stand there, spoon in hand, all is well. However, if you are at all inclined to ADD or have a short attention span, or small kids in the house, I tend to agree with drbabs--the potential for disaster is high if you take your eye off the (soft)ball.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

You can definitely double a batch of caramels, however make sure you use a large enough pan! I make fairly large batches using my 6-quart stock pot. I echo everyone's advice about watching like a hawk.