🔕 🔔

any suggestions for what to do with very, very bitter arugula?

asked by @alexandracale over 6 years ago

D22e715c 166f 4578 8ad4 1e169fc809ba  ry 400

Maybe try aagersi's dandelion salad recipe, substituting the arugula for the dandelion - http://www.food52.com/recipes....

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

You could use it in place of dandelion greens. I'm guessing it bolted, and typically I just yank it out of the garden at that point.

LOL, melissav... we must've been typing at the same time!

I just harvested all of my "wild" arugula which was very bitter from the beginning. I hated to throw it away, it was so lovely - fresh and organic from my own garden! So I tried a few things and the one that worked was the combination of garlic, onion (saute them for a few minutes) then add the chopped up arugula and added a splash of rice wine vinegar (red or white wine vinegar would probably be fine too), salt & pepper, a touch of honey (I think this was the biggest helper in cutting the bitter taste) and some crushed red pepper. I sauteed for a few more minutes, then added a few pieces of fresh tomato and sauteed another few min. I couldn't believe I was eating the same arugula! I served this over/with some cauliflower mash and it was delish!! Hope this helps!!

Like the others, I would try sauteing it. Or, if you want it in a salad, blanch it for about 1 minute, then refresh in ice water and dry thoroughly.

As Ct suggested, I would saute itin olive oil with onions, garlic and a bit of bacon. However, before sauteing, I would blanch it first--this helps reduce bitterness.