🔕 🔔

What was this wonderful savoury "pastry"/fried (?) doughy thing?

While in Naples, we ventured into a lunch place, frequented by jolly, fervent locals, all ordering their preferred snacks in loud voices. I pointed to a doughy, fried (?) "something", filled with cooked greens, luscious and sweet. The man behind the counter wrapped it in papeer and handed it to me. What could this fantastic thing have been?

asked by thirdchild over 6 years ago

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Could it have been panzerotti - little fried pastry filled with all sorts of things, from meat to mushrooms to veggies?

79951eb6 6cc6 49ec beac f4df333fc031  img 3190

Maybe panzerotti, but it did not have the characteristic half moon shape, and the dough was not really bread-like, but actually more like a doughnut, tho not sweet.

inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Now I'm really curious and did a little more searching...maybe they were bombolini?
David Kinch does what he calls a Garden Beignet here that could be similar
http://www.bonappetit.com...

I just might have to try these...they sound so good!!

Inpat, you landed on something that seriously sounds like what I ate there in Naples. What I had was somewhat bigger than the beignet in the photo in your link. I suppose I'll have to try making them from this recipe, if I dare. Thanks!