I have a lot of eggs; suggestions please but not fritatta

asked by @PAfarmer2 about 7 years ago

DoctorRob

Ladyfingers to use for tiramisu, genoise cake, creme caramel, hollandaise for eggs Benedict (or eggs florentine) and then use the whites for spiced nuts, salad Lyonnaise, chocolate mousse, cheesecake, quiche, bread pudding, shirred eggs....enough? :)

linzarella

And don't forget that eggs last a surprisingly long time in the fridge - a month or more.

Hard cooked eggs with dukkah!! Recipe here on food52 . .. . . ;o)

ATG117

How about a custard or pudding, or ice cream, even if summer has come to an end. Bread pudding? Another idea... egg salad. Here's a recipe I like.

http://www.foodnetwork...

This recipe also made me think, you can add eggs to Amanda's wonderful tartines. I think the addition of sliced eggs atop the avocado would be lovely. JUst make sure to sprinkle the eggs with kosher or sea salt.

Alternatively, you can freeze egg whites in small batches to defrost and use at a later date (not sure about freezing yolks).

ATG117

Woops. These were the tartines by Amanda that I was thinking about.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Mmmmm....traditional egg nog (Irma Rombauer's Joy of Cooking version packs a wicked punch). Not exactly seasonally appropriate yet but hey, it's never to early to start warming up for the holidays!

CarlaCooks

Breakfast burritos! Cook some bacon in a pan and remove. In the same pan, saute pototatoes, bell peppers, and onions, seasoned with salt, pepper, and hot sauce, in the bacon fat. Remove and scramble eggs in the same pan. Serve the eggs with the potatoe mixture on a tortilla along wtih cheese, salsa, avacado, bacon, and more hot sauce. I LOVE these breakfast burritos... I make them for lunch almost every weekend. Enjoy your eggs!

lapadia

Eggs on Greens Pizza!
Pizza al'Uovo – Rustic Egg Pizza!
Eggs Benedict Casserole...all recipes here on Food52 :)

student epicure

angel food cake, chocolate mousse, chocolate souffle, shakshouka.

Meatballs&Milkshakes

Ice cream will last for a while in the freezer, custard, anything else custard-based. Egg pasta. Bread pudding, both savory and sweet. I haven't put my recipe for bread pudding on Food52 yet, but here it is: http://meatballsandmilkshakes.wordpress.com/2011/08/07/mushroom-and-spinach-bread-pudding/

Spanish tortilla. Maybe too similar to fritatta but really good.

Eggs in other savory dishes; Korean bipimbap or good old spaghetti carbonara. And then there's the classic Lyonaisse frisee lardons salad topped with a nice runny poached egg.

karathegc

Angel Food cake!

Melusine

Pickled eggs! My grandmother's version: Cover hard boiled eggs with jars of Aunt Nellie's Pickled Beets. Turn the eggs once or twice a day so the color is even. Wait three days before eating -- and they keep for weeks. Couldn't be simpler -- and the color contrast is great. I've always thought about making deviled eggs with them. Hmmm....

Marbled tea eggs: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

This has been a hit, serves one but can easily be doubled, tripled, etc.

That stuff is the bomb, sLx!

nomnivorous

Strata is my favorite way to use up eggs. 9-10 eggs per batch, some old bread, veggies and cream/milk make a really yummy dish. Closer to a savory bread pudding than fritatta, you should try it!

1I'm having breakfast/brunch with nomnivorous. I like to use stale croissants for the bread component. They turn so silky in the overnight rest.

nomnivorous

Croissants! Brilliant! There's a cafe near me that sells their day old pastries inexpensively. I see next week's stata in the works. (I make one almost weekly so that my roommate and I have breakfast for the week, ready made.)

Also, that fried egg pasta? Holy moly I WANT!

Oh yeah! Good on you for finding a good source of good stale croissants!

babytiger

Salted eggs - usually made with duck eggs but chicken eggs work as well.

SouffleBombay

How about some chocolate mousse? Spoil yourself - here is a recipe with Chambord as well YUM! http://soufflebombay.blogspot.com/2010/01/one-for-my-man-muuuah.html

OR if you are hosting or headed to a party make a GIANT deviled egg. Cook a ton of eggs, peel them, slice them in half, remove the yolks and mash as you like, dice the egg whites. Plate the pile of creamy yolks in the middle of a platter, surround them with the diced egg whites and serve with veggies and crackers - so fun!

foodielady

vanilla flan @foodielady.com

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I have a wonderful recipe for a lemon meringue pie if that sounds appealing! Uses up eggs in a delightful way!

Michelle Clark Czerwinski

A few ideas when I am loaded with extra eggs. Many ice cream recipes have a lot of eggs. Or Breakfast Pizza. Use either a pizza crust, or refrigerated biscuits as the dough. Layer starting with either a cream cheese base or cheese sauce. Then whatever you'd put into a fritata....on top ending with the eggs...and top with more cheddar the last 5 min. Or egg burritos? another suggestion.

beroes

thanks to all who replied. Neighbors are enjoying extra eggs now. No more suggestions needed