A question about a recipe: Quinoa and Kale Crustless Quiche

0f57980d 71fd 4114 a143 a99722a878bf  2018 0118 quinoa kale crustless quiche 3x2 julia gartland 7281

Would red quinoa work in this? If so, is there anything in the instructions I'd need to change? I have a bit in my cupboard, and this sounds like a great way to use it! ;o)

asked almost 7 years ago

Hilarybee

AJ, I'm sure it would work beautifully. I've noticed that red quinoa takes a bit longer to cook- so make sure it is done before adding it to the mix.
Other than that, I don't see any issue. The colors will definitely be different, but I think it will still taste good!

Thanks so much, HB! Looking forward to making this tomorrow evening. Great recipe! ;o)

We debated trying it ourselves but decided it might make the color muddy for the photos -- other than that, and taking into account Hilarybee's notes above, I don't see why you wouldn't use it!

Red quinoa is gorgeous and, to my mind, has a much brighter, cleaner flavor than the regular kind . . . . perhaps explaining its much higher price tag. (When I bought it in bulk, red quinoa ran about four times the cost per pound of the ordinary stuff.) I'll let you know how it turns out. And I'll take a photo if time permits! So looking forward to this. ;o)

Hilarybee

Merrill, that is exactly why I used golden quinoa, because the colors all melded together. But I think it will still be beautiful.

So now I'm thinking . . . red chard + red Russian kale, for a whole different look. The possibilities are endless. I can see this one becoming a favorite here, especially because it can be made ahead, making it perfect for our weeknight schedule (out in the redwood forest hiking/running/mountain biking for 1.5 hours between work and dinner). ;o)

Hilarybee

AJ, I'm so glad. It's a weeknight favorite at my house, too. I like to make it ahead for my husband to reheat when I'm not home for dinner.