Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Kale with Pancetta, Cream and Toasted Rosemary Walnuts

A8fd63db 28db 47f6 be01 8130a59cb053  image 3

I have a question about the recipe "Kale with Pancetta, Cream and Toasted Rosemary Walnuts" from apartmentcooker. I've never cooked, or even tasted kale. Can you give me an idea of what it tastes like? Spinach? Endive? Cabbage? Otherwise the recipe sounds delicious and might get me to experiment on my family.

asked by Grandma Kathy over 5 years ago
0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Kale is related to spinach and all other greens, but is probably closest to collard greens in flavor. They are both sweeter than other greens. As far as introducing them to your family, apartmentcooker's recipe is an awesome choice!

it takes longer to wilt than spinach, but has a more toothsome feel as a result. i like that it has more chew and less slimeyness than spinach and it has pretty much replaced cooked spinach in my recipes. kale is also just about the most nutrient dense veg out there.

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Agree with the other posters that is it a sweeter green than spinach. I like to chop up a big handful and add to vegetable soups toward the end of cooking. It can actually stand up to the heat and as leftovers, unlike spinach which will just go limp and slimy.

Your market may feature different kinds of kale - some almost black, some bright green, very curly or not. Pretty much all types will require removal of the stem up to and including where it joins the leafy part, as the stems can be tough. It's easy to do with a good sharp knife and you don't have to be really precise about it. Be careful not to overcook it, though. Experiment and enjoy!

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I find the Red Russian kale, with the feathery leaves, to be a little milder and more pleasing to my family. It's funny to me that kale is described as sweeter than spinach, as my family seems to love spinach while kale has been a much harder sell. I serve it frequently, regardless, as it's really healthy, but they just don't like it as much as spinach. MIght be the stronger flavor and the more chewy bite. I love it though!