Calling DonnyG! AntoniaJames! KitchenKim! All my Food52 Pickleheroes! I'm in the middle of making croissants...here's a photo of my dough after 1 turn and 1/2 hour in the fridge. Did I put in too much yeast? Or?? How do I even roll this darn thing now?

53dc490f b9b6 425d 956d 92000bd36b84  dough

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks October 21, 2010

smoosh it down until it's more of a disk and carry on as if nothing were happening.
maybe you put in too much yeast but there's no going back.
i'm filling in til one of your heroes is available.

gigiaxline
gigiaxline October 21, 2010

Thank you luvcookbooks - You are included in the "all" part of my heroes! I love this forum because of awesome people like you. I will carry on...my recipe called for two packets of yeast, and 4 cups of flour...as listed here http://www.ochef.com/r203.htm. I should know better though, I've made plenty of pizza dough with just one packet and that much flour!

mrslarkin October 21, 2010

Whoa...that thing is a BEAST! I would punch it into submission. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

drbabs October 21, 2010

I bet those croissants are going to be really light and fluffy! Please let us know what happens! You are my hero--I've been wanting to try my hand at croissants.

Christina Ward
Christina Ward October 21, 2010

Definitely punch that dough back into line! No harm, no foul.

gigiaxline
gigiaxline October 21, 2010

Ok...I was able to complete my turns and the BEAST is in the fridge for the night. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for the tips and moral support!

TheWimpyVegetarian
TheWimpyVegetarian October 22, 2010

Holy Moly! I've made quite a few laminated breads like croissants and have not seen this - and yes it's likely too much yeast. In my croissant recipe, it calls for 4.5 cups of flour and 2 teaspoons of instant yeast (which equates to 1 tablespoon of active dry yeast). I don't have any packages of active dry right now, but am thinking each package is more than 1.5 teaspoons? Punching it down was the best thing to do at this point. An overproofed dough, like your picture, runs the risk of collapsing into itself. The only other thing I can think of that you can do is to do a "cold rise". After one set of your turns, for example, you could let it rise in the frig overnight. But don't do that more than once. An advantage of slowing it down is better flavor too. Good luck! I hope it works - I love croissants! Let us know how it all turns out!

anyone
anyone October 22, 2010

Sorry I got here too late.... Good advide though..was looking for mrslarkin and AJ to see thier take.... Good luck!

Voted the Best Reply!

gigiaxline
gigiaxline October 22, 2010

Thanks ChezSuzanne, Christina and no problem DonnyG...mrslarkin aptly named my dough the BEAST. All turned out well. The overnight rest in the coolest part of my fridge relaxed the dough and it rolled out just fine. Now my house smells like a giant stick of butter, and I learned to trust my intuition and not to put in two packets of yeast with only 4 cups of flour...Thanks everyone! Here's a photo of the final product. Drbabs, I encourage you to try making them - well worth the effort!

anyone
anyone October 22, 2010

looks geat! Congratulations.

innoabrd
innoabrd October 22, 2010

Yum! The flow in my arteries slows just looking at those! Aren't we all grateful for Lipitor?!

anyone
anyone October 22, 2010

No lipitor yet. The key for me to being a healthy "gourmandise" for twenty + years is balance of diet and exercise. I never let a wonderful food item or dish pass me by in the name of being healthy but I also balance that with low fat healthy meals when possible in addition to being active. My numbers are still good thank god.

mrslarkin October 22, 2010

Wow!!!!!!!! I wish I could do that. I can almost smell them. :)

TheWimpyVegetarian
TheWimpyVegetarian October 22, 2010

They look BEAUTIFUL! Great job - and great instincts. You've motivated me to make some croissants too! Nothing better than homemade croissants - definitely worth all the rolling and folding.

gigiaxline
gigiaxline October 22, 2010

I wish you could all come over and eat them with us. Thanks for the moral support and compliments. I love this forum!