Peeling Garlic

Typically I do the smash and mince method when cooking with garlic - which also makes it easy to get the skins off. But, what is the best way to skin a clove of garlic when the recipe calls for thinly sliced garlic which would not work with the smash and mince method? While skinning garlic last night I kept thinking there had to be an easier way then trying to peel it with my fingers...

Droplet
Droplet September 19, 2011

Soak it in a small bowl of water for a while before peeling and the peel comes off very easily.

Niknud
Niknud September 19, 2011

Have you ever tried one of those rubber tubes thingies? They sell them at williams-sonoma and you just put the clove inside the tube and roll it around. The skins stick to the rubber and you have a non-smashed, yet peeled clove of garlic! I keep one around for exactly that use - because normally I am a dedicated knife smash and mincer like you.

Here's a link: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/search/results.html?activeTab=products&words=garlic+peeler&cm_sp=OnsiteSearch-_-GlobalNav-_-Button&type-ahead-viewset=ecom

sdebrango September 19, 2011

Love that Droplet, I had the same issue last night with some garlic cloves. Great tip!

EmilyC
EmilyC September 19, 2011

I trim off both ends of the garlic. You still have to peel with your fingers, but cutting the ends off makes the cloves much easier to peel.

CarlaCooks
CarlaCooks September 19, 2011

You can still use the smash method, but use a lighter pressure on the knife so you don't smash too much. I've also used Droplet's method, though I find using hot water works better.

There'sAlwaysPie
There'sAlwaysPie September 19, 2011

Thanks for the great tips! Niknud - I'd always wondered if those things work - glad to hear that they do!

ChefJune September 19, 2011

hmmm never heard of tat soaking method. I cut off the root end and then it's usually pretty easy to get the rest of the skin off. A few light taps with the side of your knife also helps loosen it.

Helen's All Night Diner
Helen's All Night Diner September 19, 2011

I store my fresh garlic from the garden in the freezer, it keeps from sprouting that way. It thaws in a minute or so on the counter. Trim off the root end & the skin pops right off. I tend to slice my garlic very thin rather than chopping. If you slice it while it's still semi frozen, it's much easier. Similar to slicing partially frozen meat...

There'sAlwaysPie
There'sAlwaysPie September 19, 2011

Helen's A-N-D, that's a great idea - including the thought of fresh garlic from the garden...I've never tried growing garlic here in Florida but if it worked I bet it would be delicious!

totalkathy
totalkathy September 20, 2011

Get 2 small stainless bowls, put garlic in one, cover with other bowl, dome side up, hold together, shake it like crazy. The banging, peals garlic like crazy! I have also put in a lidded plastic container and shook the heck out of it. The metal is more effective. They will be completely naked garlic cloves.

chairmanhu
chairmanhu September 20, 2011

I've heard that zapping them in the microwave (*gasp*) for a few seconds makes for easy peeling.

creamtea September 20, 2011

I cut off both ends, slice in half lengthwise, slide out the germ with the point of the knife and slip each half out of its peel.

Summer of Eggplant
Summer of Eggplant September 20, 2011

Felix is (gasp) right. Hate to admit it but this is what I usually do, about 5-10 seconds in the micro is all it takes. Also the tube thing Niknud mentions works OK as well as blanching each clove. I enjoy peeling garlic as much as I enjoy peeling shrimp or pumping gas or going to the dentist....

Butternut
Butternut September 21, 2011

The rubber tube device is fantastic. Best $8 hostess gift ever. Pops into dishwasher for easy clean up, too. Just don't press too hard, or roll on a damp countertop. Any moisture, inside or out, is anathema to this ingenious invention.

TheWimpyVegetarian
TheWimpyVegetarian September 22, 2011

I've done the soaking method for years and it's been a great way to go especially for the small cloves. It's such a time saver when you have to do a ton of them, as I do a pretty quick soak of just a minute. I've also found this a great way to peel shallots if I have a lot to do.

lacerise
lacerise September 22, 2011

As Jacques Pepin says, once you cut off the dry end of the clove and exert light pressure w/your knife, the skin slips off pretty easily.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

After you get the cloves peeled you can use a mini mandoline slicer. I bought this tiny slicer/grater thinking it would be yet another kitchen gadget that would end up in the recycle bin, but I absolutely love it. It makes the tiniest, thinnest garlic slices. I love to slice up a bunch and fry them up all golden and crispy to top salads and soups. It's easy to use, about the size of a chef's knife, and all three parts come apart for easy dishwasher clean-up.

davidpdx
davidpdx September 30, 2011

Found a video of totalkathy's method. Amazing! http://bit.ly/pnFyJC