How do I prevent udon noodles from sticking together & turning into a gluey glob when I boil them?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 7 years ago

EmilyC

There may be better tricks out there, but I make sure to use plenty of water (about 6 quarts for 1 pound) and stir frequently to prevent them from sticking.

I agree with EmilyC a large pot, lots of boiling water (make sure its a rolling boil) and stirring frequently.

healthierkitchen

and then rinse well!

The above techs are good.

But sometime you just don't want to dirty and clean big pot for small portions.
I fall back on another tech. Told to me by a Japaneese housewife.
Normal sized pot and just a serving of two of noodles. (which what I normally make).

Salt the water and bring to boil. Add noodles and stir immediately.
As it starts to boil over....add a cup of water. Wait...until it starts to boil over again.
repeat that three times while stirring with chopsticks. Watch it..as it will boil over..thus the addition of cooler water.