how long can one slowroast plum tomatoes @150 before bacteria becomes risk? 14 hours at this point...is it risky?

recipe called for halving them, lightly salting then roasting until dried thoroughly. 8-10 hours. I am going on more than 12 hours, is it still safe? Shall I pull them and top off w/olive oil and stick in frig? never had this problem with cherry tomatoes, just these plums!!

• Posted by: tota
  • September 21, 2011

drbabs September 21, 2011

I've been trying to research this for you and I can't come up with anything other than this: You, I hope, washed your tomatoes thoroughly before roasting them. That will take care of most bacteria that were on the surface. Since we store tomatoes at room temperature until we eat them, I can't imagine that 14 hours of roasting at 150 is going to be a safety problem. But if anyone else has any info about this, i'd appreciate your weighing in because I haven't been able to find anything definitive.

boulangere September 21, 2011

I think you'll be fine, as well. As you're slow roasting them, they are gradually dehydrating, and high moisture rates are when you're going to encourage bacterial growth. Sounds lovely!

shemanufactures
shemanufactures September 21, 2011

If you're not using them right away, then I think the issue would be proper storage - they may reabsorb moisture and mold if you don't vacuum pack or freeze them. They won't keep long in oil.

tota
tota September 21, 2011

thanks for all your input everyone...if I am quiet in coming weeks, you'll know the tomatoes went off and you should avoid trying this yourselves!

boulangere September 21, 2011

LOL, tota. I overnight-roast tomatoes all the time, and if I'm not going to use them soon, I freeze them.

SKK September 21, 2011

I slice tomatoes and dehydrate 105F for about 24 hours. I then put them in a jar with a tight seal and put them on my canning shelves and they last the whole year. They do not mold. When I am ready to use them I soak them in water and they plump right up. You can pack them in oil and they will last up to one month. Here is some useful information http://foyupdate.blogspot.com/2010/08/olive-oil-packed-sun-dried-tomatoes.html