🔕 🔔

I have a recipe for Roasted Tomato Dip that comes out runny. What can give it some "body"?

Ingredients are plum tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and seasonings.

asked by Food odyssea almost 6 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I make something very similar but on the stove top, I cook it until almost all the liquid from the tomatoes is gone and it makes a wonderful dip. Love it with just about everything, Do you roast everything in the oven then put it through the food processor?

Maybe some toasted bread crumbs, or some pureed cannelini beans. . .

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Or add some chick peas, nix the balsamic vinegar in favor of some other acid like lemon juice, throw in some garlic and make a roasted tomato dip with a nod to hummus......

B00ec2bf 040d 4907 bdf8 9bc77a9e767c  blackbottoms 2

Yes, plum tomatoes roasted in the oven, then food processor.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

ground nuts?

Are you taking out the seeds and pulp prior to using? I also like to "drain" my seeded tomato halves upside-down (like a dome) over some paper towels while I prep the rest of the ingredients to allow for extra juice to drip out.

Before roasting the tomatoes, I would cut them in half and remove seeds, salt them and put over papel towels to remove the vegetable water at least for one hour.

4421619e f544 4703 9273 6e95dc123a79  black picture small

Definitely remove the seeds and slice them rather than half them before roasting to get more surface area for drying. Do a low and slow process in the oven to make sure they are adequately dry before food processing....you could a little tomato paste for binding and extra tomato flavor to your dip in a pinch.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

I agree with Bevi's answer; ground nuts. It should give you something similar to a romesco sauce.

So many great ideas. I wish I had posted the question before I finished cooking.