I have a recipe for Roasted Tomato Dip that comes out runny. What can give it some "body"?

Ingredients are plum tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and seasonings.

asked by Food odyssea about 7 years ago

I make something very similar but on the stove top, I cook it until almost all the liquid from the tomatoes is gone and it makes a wonderful dip. Love it with just about everything, Do you roast everything in the oven then put it through the food processor?

Maybe some toasted bread crumbs, or some pureed cannelini beans. . .

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Or add some chick peas, nix the balsamic vinegar in favor of some other acid like lemon juice, throw in some garlic and make a roasted tomato dip with a nod to hummus......

Food odyssea

Yes, plum tomatoes roasted in the oven, then food processor.

Bevi

ground nuts?

BadgerBri

Are you taking out the seeds and pulp prior to using? I also like to "drain" my seeded tomato halves upside-down (like a dome) over some paper towels while I prep the rest of the ingredients to allow for extra juice to drip out.

Marga

Before roasting the tomatoes, I would cut them in half and remove seeds, salt them and put over papel towels to remove the vegetable water at least for one hour.

loubaby

Definitely remove the seeds and slice them rather than half them before roasting to get more surface area for drying. Do a low and slow process in the oven to make sure they are adequately dry before food processing....you could a little tomato paste for binding and extra tomato flavor to your dip in a pinch.

I agree with Bevi's answer; ground nuts. It should give you something similar to a romesco sauce.

Food odyssea

So many great ideas. I wish I had posted the question before I finished cooking.