How do you make sure a pork chop stays juicy?

wssmom
wssmom September 22, 2011

I haven't had a dry pork chop since I began brining them: about two hours in the refrigerator submerged in a quart of cold water, with 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup salt, some peppercorns, a splash of apple juice, and a handful of fresh herbs, bruised. Some recipes call for the salt and sugar to be boiled in two cups of the water until fully dissolved, then to add icewater to make one quart.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I brown them quickly in a fry pan. I then add a small amount of wate, simmer covered..... They fall apart. I add tomatoes, peppers, and onions. Family loves it:)

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I have been brining meat, poultry and many seafoods for several years.
I use 1/2 cup of kosher salt, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 64 oz of veggie stock, 64 oz of water and two bay leaves for my brines for pork chops. After putting the chops in the brine, cover with 3-4 cups of ice and refrigerate. If the chops are 1 1/2 - 3" thick, brine for at least 4 hours. If they are less than 2" thick, brine for 2 hours.
After removing from the brine, pat dry do not rinse.
They will not be salty and they will be very juicy.

sdebrango September 22, 2011

I love your brine wssmom, next time I make pork chops I am brining them.

seabirdskitchen
seabirdskitchen September 22, 2011

Brine in the ratios that wssmom. I do put some spices in the brine too - so if I am using star anise with an accompanying veg, then I will star anise in the brine.
So the brine should take on flavors that subtly enhance the flavors in the rest of the plate

BadgerBri
BadgerBri September 25, 2011

Great brine recipes! I also suggest that you make sure you let the pork chops rest for a few minutes before cutting into them. Just like other meats, give the pork a chance to have the juices redistribute in the meat after cooking.

pierino September 25, 2011

Another spin on brine, for thick cuts I use an internal brine which I inject into the meat. My own is simply salt dissolved in water but use whatever you like. This way you can throw them on a hot grill, get em nice and crisp on the outside but moist on the inside.

Chef Krull
Chef Krull September 25, 2011

What everyone else said is true. If you brine them or not, the important thing is to not overcook them. Brining them will give you a margin for error. I cook them in cast iron or on the grill. Pat dry, lightly oil, season (if not brined), sear, and remove from the heat when the internal temp is 140. Let them rest for a few minutes. It's easier to get a good temp reading when the chops are thicker. Do it enough and you should be able to tell by feel. When I do thicker ones in a skillet, I finish them by putting the whole thing in a 400 degree oven. Otherwise, it can be hard to get to temp without burning.