What's orzo? How to cook it?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 7 years ago

wssmom

Orzo is a rice-shaped pasta, often used in soups but delicious in other recipes as well. It is cooked like pasta, in rapidly boiling salted water for about 10 minutes, or until al dente. Here's a contest winner from Food52:

Orzo is just tiny, rice-shaped ("orzo" actually means barley in Italian) pasta. You can just boil it in salted water and then strain and serve as you would any other pasta.

Meatballs&Milkshakes

My all-time favorite orzo is also incredibly simple. Cook the pasta as Merrill recommends and then add it to a citrus vinaigrette of lemon and orange juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.You can let it sit or you can cook it for the last minute together. Either way, it's delicious and goes with anything.