🔕 🔔

Hummus pairings

I finally found a hummus recipe that I love! Now I want to explore different ways to use the hummus. I find some of the normal veggie dippers, like celery, a little blah. Any creative ideas on how I can pair hummus with various types of food? Maybe even serve it on cooked food (I was thinking something like steamed broccoli)? Thanks for the help!

asked by WannabeBaker almost 6 years ago

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

Two words: sandwich spread. Lose the mustard or mayo and use the hummus instead!

I also love tossing cooked veggies (like carrots or roasted cauliflower) in hummus and garnishing with some lemon juice and parsley

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Love this recipe from cooklynveg http://www.food52.com/recipes... and tiggybee's http://www.food52.com/recipes... and everything JessicaBakes recommends. Also think it would be great with broccoli, as you suggested.

A couple more ideas - use it on pizza, or flatbread with different vegetables you like. Also, a wrap with hummus, quinoa and vegetables.

I figured out that I like hummus mixed with baba ganouj (which I recently mastered) better than either one on its own (ditto mashed potato mixed with mashed rutabaga, same concept). Flavor and texture of these combos are better than either alone. I like to put some in a little bowl, drop in chopped fresh tomato and crunchy croutons and spoon it up like a savory sundae. could we stuff a pepper or a cabbage leaf with it?

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Use hummus in place of mayo for deviled eggs--that's probably one of my most-requested creations. Just blend a few of the cooked egg yolks into it for a richer, creamier hummus, add a little cumin and coriander, and garnish with smoked paprika and chopped parsley.

It's also great with a fresh cucumber, olives, and feta plate--sort of like a cross between a cheese plate and a veggie plate.

Or swirl a bit of sweet roasted red pepper paste/chopped sweet red pepper (such as the genius recipe recently featured) into the hummus and serve it with toasted pita or naan.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

It will also go well alongside a nice tabbouleh salad. The traditional version is very green with chopped parsely, mint and bulgar. I like to make mine in a French style using couscous.