🔕 🔔

Is a food processor a good way to chop nuts?

I need to chop pounds of nuts to coat chocolate truffles. Would a food processor be able to break the nuts into small enough pieces or will it inevitably overmix and leave me with a lot of powdered nuts? Is chopping by hand a better method?

Thanks in advance!

asked by 1tsplove almost 6 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

My food processor works great for nut chopping. Just don't overfill it and watch it carefully. A lot of small batches, pulsing.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Ditto what SKK says: use the pulse botton and work in small batches. Works great!

I say, do what SKK and wssmom say.

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

Ditto, ditto, ditto. If the nuts end up powedered, learn and try again.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Do not walk away. Pulse and stop to see how they're coming -- because after powder comes nut butter.

Personally, I put 'em in a big zip-loc baggie and roll over them w/ a rolling pin. Gives me a little more control than my food processor . . . .

When I'm making truffles, or coating the sides of a cake with nuts, I always do them in the food processor. As the posters above suggested, small batches, pulsed and watched carefully. It's so much faster.

When I'm chopping nuts for cookies (like chocolate chippers or brownies, I generally do them with a knife, or I break them by hand. But that's when I want pretty large chunks.

5242e966 33b2 40fd be9b 92606991300f  sara clevering

I use my immersion blender kit that has the equivalent of a mini-mixer. (Think magic bullet!). I love it--I've never thought about batch size because obviously batches have to be kept small in a mini-mixer, so this was a good thread to read in case I need to make a lot one day.

17684499 958e 4a34 8401 4a21b619a0c8  1378937 300

Thanks everyone!