🔕 🔔

My wood salad bowl is 7+ years old and has a few cracks. Is this unsafe due to bacteria growing?

I've heard bacteria can grow in the cracks. True? Time to get rid of it?

asked by CMTerp almost 6 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

What type of wood? Some wood has anti bacterial qualities and is much safer for cutting boards vs plastic with similar micro cracks and abrasions.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, except for the cosmetic issue if that's a problem.

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

I would thoroughly clean the bowl & the cracks with a mild solution of water and bleach. After it has dried completely, fill the cracks with an epoxy wood filler, one used by furniture builders. They come in many different colors and are easy to use. After it dries, sand the epoxy smooth, oil the bowl with a little walnut oil and bees wax. The bowl will have a wonderful charm to it. I have done this through the years with many wooden food contact surfaces such as cutting boards, bowls and old butcher blocks. As much as some woods have an antibacterial property, there is a very good reason food safety experts shy away from wood as a contact surface for food. It is better to be safe then sorry and fill the cracks.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

usuba dashi, hope you see this. So the epoxy when dried is completely stable and won't leach into foods (including acidic ones?).

@creamtea - correct. These epoxies are made specifically for woodworking to fill cracks, made to withstand all sorts of abuse. It would be a crime to through away such a wonder wooden bowl.