I just found quark in my Whole Foods so I can look for my old German cheesecake recipes. I do remember having large cracks making these 3" deep cakes before not only with quark, but also ricotta and cream cheese. What are the sure ways to avoid this problem in the first place? Usually I camoflage the cracks with a fruit preserve or cream topping. Thanks.

asked by Sagegreen almost 8 years ago

Christina Ward

Cook the cheesecake in a bain marie. The water bath helps increase the humidity in the oven and keeps the cheesecake moist while baking...which prevents the cracking.

You don't need anything fancy. Just place your cake in a roasting pan and fill with about an half inch of water. Depending on the diameter of the cake you're making, you may have to add a bit of water.

Good luck!

Great info, Christina!! Thanks for posting this response. ;o)

Sagegreen

Thanks for such a quick and great response!

anyone

If you havn't started yet, the bain marie-along with starting your temp low, then go a bit higher, then the last 20min go to your high number. I think it's something like 240F, then 300F then 350F.
This help with minamizing shrinkage of the product, or so I've been told. I was told this by a very talented baker and it worked for me but it's been awhile. Food for thought.

Yes, go with the water bath. Also, wrap the bottom of your springform pan with foil before pouring the water in, just in case the seal is not tight.