A question about a recipe: Kasha Varnishkes Frittata

E0014178 dbb2 4143 87e7 4469475a11ce  photo 1

I have a question about the ingredient "kasha" on the recipe "Kasha Varnishkes Frittata" from linzarella.What is kasha??

asked by Paula G. about 7 years ago

Lily Kayte

In Russia, kasha is a generic term and means any grain. In the U.S. it's specifically buckwheat groats and widely available in most supermarkets in the Jewish foods section. Wolff is the only brand as far as I know. I recommend using the medium grind.

Paula G.

Thank you Lily. I live in Sligo in the north west of Ireland so may have trouble sourcing it. Woder would any form of coarse buckwheat do??
Best Wishes Paula Gilvarry

linzarella

Yes, Paula, I think a form of coarser buckwheat would be just fine, and probably even more flavorful. But if you want to try something else, bulgur or barley might be interesting stand-ins.