🔕 🔔

Plum Kuchen-tenderizing the batter w/o milk products

I have a plum cake I often make, but the batter is too tough and dry. It calls for 3 eggs, 1/2 c. flour, margarine (for a kosher meat meal,no dairy is allowed, so sour cream is not an option) sugar and vanilla. I would like to soften it. Should I try and extra yolk? a bit of baking soda?

asked almost 6 years ago

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

This is probably a bit of a total departure from the recipe, but I have a couple of suggestions. First, try cake flour. With a lower protein content and more even, fine grain, this is destined to help. Here's my out-of-the-box answer: use almond paste. Almond paste (NOT marzipan) has a very moist tenderness about it that might just solve your problem. Here's an example of a recipe that uses it so you can try to find a great place to incorporate it into your recipe: http://www.davidlebovitz...

what about alternatives to milk? coconut milk, soy, silken soy cakes (whirled in blender), hemp milk, etc.