A question about a recipe: Caramelized Butternut Squash Wedges with a Sage Hazelnut Pesto

43fc6754 f9db 483e bfa4 ef5cfa621692  2014 1031 suite one studio gold rimmed lace platter mid 006

I have a question about the recipe "Caramelized Butternut Squash Wedges with a Sage Hazelnut Pesto" from melissav.
The recipe states to toast the hazelnuts. Should I rub off the skins in a towel after toasting them before using them in the pesto?

asked by Eggplayer about 7 years ago

JessicaBakes

If the recipe doesn't specify, it's probably not necessary. Some people do find the taste of the skins quite bitter, so if you're one of them, that step certainly wouldn't hurt

The easiest way to remove the skins is to roll the hazelnuts around in a sieve.

melissav

I believe Amanda and Merrill removed the skins but I'll admit that I took the lazy route and didn't.

thirschfeld

I always remove the skins with a towel or sieve, depending on my mood, otherwise they get caught in your throat and give you that weird cough.