A question about a recipe: Caramelized Butternut Squash Wedges with a Sage Hazelnut Pesto

What would you use instead of hazelnuts in melissav's "Caramelized Butternut Squash Wedges with a Sage Hazelnut Pesto"? I'm just not that big a fan of hazelnuts. I'm thinking about putting this on my Thanksgiving table, so pecans might be a bit redundant. What do you think about pine nuts?. Or maybe cashews? Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

JessicaBakes
JessicaBakes November 12, 2011

Dang, i did really want to say pecans! Pine nuts and sage are wonderful together, and I could see walnuts performing well since they also have that similar tannic mouthfeel to hazelnuts.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen November 12, 2011

AJ - I've made this dish a number of times now and I also am not normally a huge fan of hazelnuts (chocolate combos excluded). Because the nuts are mixed in with the rest of the "pesto" it doesn't scream hazelnut. In fact, the elements are very well balanced, because even the sage is not too prominent. It's a really nice mix and as long as it's not an allergy issue, I might give a small batch a try, as is, just because the flavors are so good togther. I even love the leftover pesto on other vegetables with brown rice for lunch the next day!

melissav
melissav November 12, 2011

I don't think peanuts or cashews would be the best choice but I think any of the other nuts (walnuts, pecans, pine nuts, even almonds) would work. Let me know what you end up going with and how it turns out!

ATG117
ATG117 November 13, 2011

roasted almonds or walnut. I'd tend towards the latter. I'm also thinking you could use peppitas or pumpkin seeds if you wanted to try something a bit different