Squash hands

You know what I'm talking about -- tame a butternut squash and you end up with a weird stubborn layer on your hands. Any tried and true solutions for getting it off?

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

asked about 7 years ago

This was answered before, at length, but I don't find it on the search. I'm sure you'll get lots of help on this. I wonder if it's a problem of individual people, or individual squash. I can feel that stickiness, but it comes right off for me.

petitbleu

You might try washing your hands and then rubbing them with some lemon juice (make sure you don't have any cuts first!).

thirschfeld

or you could wear it proudly like a squash henna tattoo letting people know you actually cook.

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci

love that, thirschfeld!

JessicaBakes

Comes right off with soap and water for me too. You can try a latex glove if it's really a problem for you

What about making a paste of soap and kosher salt, and using it to scrub your hands?

beyondcelery

Here's the old thread about that:
http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

I've also since discovered that rubbing olive oil on my hands after cutting up the squash, then washing all that off with soap and water seems to be slightly more effective in removing the stickiness.

Bevi

I have used lemon juice, and then soap and water, and the works pretty well.

Droplet

I like to sprinkle some baking soda on and rub it like dry soap. It exfoliates mildly and takes most things off.