🔕 🔔

Squash hands

You know what I'm talking about -- tame a butternut squash and you end up with a weird stubborn layer on your hands. Any tried and true solutions for getting it off?

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

asked about 6 years ago

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

This was answered before, at length, but I don't find it on the search. I'm sure you'll get lots of help on this. I wonder if it's a problem of individual people, or individual squash. I can feel that stickiness, but it comes right off for me.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

You might try washing your hands and then rubbing them with some lemon juice (make sure you don't have any cuts first!).

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

or you could wear it proudly like a squash henna tattoo letting people know you actually cook.

39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

love that, thirschfeld!

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

Comes right off with soap and water for me too. You can try a latex glove if it's really a problem for you

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

What about making a paste of soap and kosher salt, and using it to scrub your hands?

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Here's the old thread about that:
http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

I've also since discovered that rubbing olive oil on my hands after cutting up the squash, then washing all that off with soap and water seems to be slightly more effective in removing the stickiness.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I have used lemon juice, and then soap and water, and the works pretty well.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

I like to sprinkle some baking soda on and rub it like dry soap. It exfoliates mildly and takes most things off.