What are the least processed forms of the healthiest grains that can be used as breakfast carbs and or dinner dishes?

wssmom
wssmom October 15, 2011

Barley, brown rice, quinoa and bulgur are among my favorite whole grains for breakfast time or anytime!

susan g October 15, 2011

Oats -- rolled or steel cut -- are barely processed, just flattened or cut. The site has many amazing breakfast recipes, including a breakfast Dal (a bean, not a grain, for another direction; Laurel's Kitchen Cookbook has a breakfast bean recipe).
When you get to dinner, choices are endless!

boulangere October 15, 2011

Farro, known in this country as Kamut is extremely versatile. Mix it with steel cut oats and dried fruit for a breakfast porridge, then make a pilaf to serve with dinner. Any cooked leftovers, toss them into a batch of bread.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric October 17, 2011

If you have a rice cooker, you can use it to make millet and quinoa the exact same way as rice. There are probably other grains that work, but these two are my favorites. Once the grain is cooked, you can mix in milk and syrup to make a breakfast porridge, and then top with nuts and fruit. Or you can serve it for dinner with the same kind of dishes you would serve with rice or couscous.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric October 17, 2011