Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

What are the least processed forms of the healthiest grains that can be used as breakfast carbs and or dinner dishes?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 5 years ago
0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Barley, brown rice, quinoa and bulgur are among my favorite whole grains for breakfast time or anytime!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Oats -- rolled or steel cut -- are barely processed, just flattened or cut. The site has many amazing breakfast recipes, including a breakfast Dal (a bean, not a grain, for another direction; Laurel's Kitchen Cookbook has a breakfast bean recipe).
When you get to dinner, choices are endless!

Farro, known in this country as Kamut is extremely versatile. Mix it with steel cut oats and dried fruit for a breakfast porridge, then make a pilaf to serve with dinner. Any cooked leftovers, toss them into a batch of bread.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

If you have a rice cooker, you can use it to make millet and quinoa the exact same way as rice. There are probably other grains that work, but these two are my favorites. Once the grain is cooked, you can mix in milk and syrup to make a breakfast porridge, and then top with nuts and fruit. Or you can serve it for dinner with the same kind of dishes you would serve with rice or couscous.

Anitalectric