🔕 🔔

How do I cook bison?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 6 years ago

What sort of cut do you have or are you thinking of? That will determine how you cook it. The important thing with bison is not to overcook it.

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

Carefully!!!

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

I have only cooked bison twice, but I treated it as I would grass fed beef. Due to the lack of fat, it needs not to be abused over extreme heat. If they are steaks, cook over gentle heat to no greater than a medium rare. If a roast, cook slowly to no more than a medium rare. Using to great a heat shocks the meat . . think of kneading bread and then immediately trying to form it. You can't because the proteins are tight. . . the structure has not have time to relax. It is the same with very lean beef, bison, venison, etc. Extreme heat shocks the meat and it toughens.