🔕 🔔

How long can you keep homemade mayo?

asked by Summer of Eggplant almost 6 years ago

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I would use it as soon as possible; at most 2-3 days in the refrigerator.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Alton Brown's recipe says refrigerate for up to one week. He lets it sit at room temperature after mixing for an hour or two to allow the acid to denature any bacterial proteins.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Great question! There's such a lot of disparity in answers when you cast about on the web. Some people and organizations say not to make it at all. I've found one Canadian government recommendation of ~a week, and that seems intuitively good to me. Sorry not to have more science in the answer.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

I've read that in general acetic (vinegar) acid is a better preservative than ascorbic (lemon) acid. So if you plan on storing it for longer it might be good to use vinegar in a recipe that calls for lemon juice, with the appropriate adjustment.