Apple abundance...

Hi Everyone - I find myself with an over abundance of apples from my farm share and am looking for recipe ideas (I have several kinds to work with). I'm having trouble with the recipe function on the site, sorry! I have already made and frozen: applesauce, apple pie, apple strudel, apple crisp, apple cobbler. Plan on making drdabs Ginger Apple Torte as well as some of the entries to the Best Apple Cake contest. Thanks for your help!

JessicaBakes
JessicaBakes October 26, 2011

Ugh, i'm so jealous! I've been playing a lot recently with the apple-peanut butter combo and plan to upload a recipe soon...but try a pie with a sauteed apple base and topped with peanut butter mousse. So good! And, you know, never hurts to put some caramel on top of that...

Also, use them in some savory dishes! Apple chutney with pork chops or chicken/turkey

Bevi
Bevi October 26, 2011

I'm not sure if you have made the Revenge of the Pear Crisp by Lizthechef, but I have made it almost every week for a month using apples. I know you have made crisp, but the flavor and texture is astounding. Have you made Waldorf salad? I also love to make a chicken salad with chopped apples. I am putting a chopped apple in every salad I make. You can also do some baked pork chops with apple slices placed on top. You can also make caramelized apples and onions for a wonderful side dish.

hardlikearmour October 26, 2011

Don't forget the best salad with apples entries. http://www.food52.com/contests...

AntoniaJames October 26, 2011

And my favorite every day use of apples when the weather turns . . . . simply peel, core and slice (or, if you're like me, the order of operations is to quarter, remove core piece from each quarter, then peel from that quarter all in one piece, and then slice, using the same tool -- a small, sharp knife -- for all steps), then gently saute the apples in a bit of butter in a skillet until the butter browns and the apples are lightly caramelized. Occasionally I dust the slices ever so lightly with freshly grated nutmeg, and sometimes if there is a bit of visible juice, I add the tiniest drop of vanilla. Toss well, let them cool, then keep them in a box in the fridge for lovely little snacks, or to top with vanilla ice cream for a pleasant weeknight dessert. I get "uglies" at the farmers' market just for this purpose. Yumm! ;o) P.S. They're also nice served with roasts and grilled meat, and braised pork shoulder. And on pancakes, waffles, etc.

aargersi October 26, 2011

Do you can? I make Sara's Apple Butter for Christmas gifts ...

susan g October 26, 2011

I like grated apples added to oatmeal (and other hot cereals), pancakes, cole slaw, and my Breakfast Corn Cake on FOOD52* -- slices and chunks work too. I quarter the apples, scoop out the inedibles, and grate them on the coarse side of a box grater -- if you hold the peel on the outside, it stays behind with only the pulp going through the grater. *http://www.food52.com/recipes...

SKK October 26, 2011

I must be sounding like a broken record about dehydrating, but it really is wonderful and apples are easy to rehydrate for whatever uses. I use my Excalibur dehydrator and you can also use the oven. Here is a link that may be of use. http://www.pickyourown.org/apples_dried.htm

Droplet
Droplet October 26, 2011

You could also make some flavored apple sauce as a variety, such as pear apple sauce, cranberry apple sauce. Pick the healthiest ones , negligently wrap each one in brown paper, leaving plenty of opening to breath, and arrange them in a single layer in a crate. They would keep beyond Christmas in a cold place.

Esther Plume
Esther Plume October 26, 2011

What sort of apples are they? If you want to use a vast quantity of them without too much work, then how about apple jelly? You can add flavourings to it, and jars make excellent gifts - I made apple chilli jelly (there was some hard cider in the recipe) it was delicious, and not too much effort- no peeling etc, just chop up the apples and cook, then strain for the juice and take it from there.. Needs a tart apple though.

Sarah Plumley
Sarah Plumley October 26, 2011

Last night I sliced and soaked apples in brandy and a bit of sugar and lemon juice to add to holiday cocktails!

MaryMaryCulinary
MaryMaryCulinary October 26, 2011

Tarte Tatin? I also love the apple cake in Dorie Greenspan's Around my French Table. Too many apples is a great problem to have!

MaryMaryCulinary
MaryMaryCulinary October 26, 2011