A question about a recipe: All I Want For Christmas Peanut Butter Cookies

I made this last week with Jif and it was amazing. Today, I inadvertently grabbed Whole Foods natural peanut butter to make these for a party tomorrow. Of course when I opened it - there was that separated layer - but the cookies look and taste great (I mixed the PB layers very well in the jar). Any particular reason to avoid the natural peanut butter?

Sam1148 October 27, 2011

No, not at all. Natural peanut butters are better for you. Jiff and other PB use hydrogenated oils which is unhealthy. Jiff also as some added sugars so you might a more 'peanut' flavor to the batch of cookies using a recipe that calls for Jif.

My only probably with natural Peanut butters is the oil and mixing. It can be quite messy to incorporate.
I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Witmer...

It's a yet another kitchen gadget, but I love mine. Even tho I only buy PB once or so a year. Always natural no sugar added, as it's good for using satay and Asain dipping sauces.

sdebrango October 27, 2011

I love that gadget Sam, you are a wealth of information. I love natural peanut butter but hate having to mix it. How perfect.

Sam1148 October 27, 2011

Yes, my partner thinks it's overkill. But I think it's great gadget. As when I stir in the oil from natural peanut butter with a fork or knife, I klutz it up and end up with oil dripping around the jar, the counter top, my hands, and floor. Plus you could use it for a Halloween costume as Captain Hook. Arrrgah.

susan g October 27, 2011

That was answered by Mrs. W in the comments -- but it you had good results, you have your own answer!

meganvt01
meganvt01 October 27, 2011

I didn't see her responses to any comments, just FoodieFlirt's own guess at it.

Sam1148 October 27, 2011

I really miss the edit button..I fail at proof reading.

Ophelia
Ophelia October 27, 2011

I can't see why it would be a problem. Less sugar in the peanut butter may be an issue if you like your cookies super sweet, but I make my peanut butter cookies with natural peanut butter and have never had any problems with flavor, baking or storage.