A question about a recipe: Salted Pumpkin Caramels

If I'm using pepitos straight from the pumpkin, should I toast them first?
Thanks!

8e14c365 f2fa 4a31 abfe bf38725d6e54  101910f 412
Recipe question for: Salted Pumpkin Caramels

boulangere October 27, 2011

I'd certainly defer to cheese1227, but my hunch would be to rinse very well, spread out on a sheet pan lined with parchment, and toast at 350 degrees until fragrant. Set the time for 10 minutes, sniff, and adjust accordingly.

cheese1227
cheese1227 October 27, 2011

So you've taken the pepitos out of their shells? I'm told by a farmer friend that pepitos come from a certain variety of pumpkins. You have those?

Anyway, if they are browned and crunchy, that is the way you want them. If they are not, toast them until they are.

claseter
claseter October 28, 2011

Thanks for all the answers! I did take them out of the shells -- they are soft (think sunflower seeds) but do have that nice green outer layer...I have toasted full seeds before to snack on -- they're good if tossed with some spices...I'll dry toast and give it a shot -- thanks!

fiveandspice
fiveandspice October 27, 2011

I would second boulangere. I think it would give much nicer flavor than using raw!

hardlikearmour October 28, 2011

The texture of pepitos is not the same as what comes out of the pumpkins - the shell is kinda tough.

boulangere October 28, 2011

Good to know. The one time I tried toasting them when the kids were little (thought it would be a fun adventure for them), they popped and shot all over the oven like popcorn. It took a couple of weeks and some serious candle-burning to get the smell out of the house. Since then, I subscribe to the "cheap at twice the price" philosophy.