🔕 🔔

Would it be OK to substitute Lyle's Golden Syrup for Corn Syrup?

8e14c365 f2fa 4a31 abfe bf38725d6e54  101910f 412

I have a question about the ingredient "1/2 cups light corn syrup" on the recipe "Salted Pumpkin Caramels" from cheese1227.

asked by alicschmidt almost 6 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Yes, it should be fine.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Lyles is partially inverted syrup - meaning it's a combination of sucrose syrup with glucose and fructose. It's less likely to crystallize than pure sucrose (i.e. common sugar), but it's not as inverted as corn syrup so there will be a greater risk of your caramels crystallizing. I'd consider adding the lemon juice with the sugar and syrup to help invert more of the sucrose to help prevent problems. I also like cooking these caramels to 244º or 245º - they're a little soft at 240º IMO.

Thanks, hardlikearmour, for a much more thorough answer than mine!

E7de47cd 9d33 416b 84d2 56b51801a7d6  christine 28 small 1

Yes, I have tested it with Lyle's Golden and it works well. They are slightly softer though and I refrigerate them.