Would it be OK to substitute Lyle's Golden Syrup for Corn Syrup?

8e14c365 f2fa 4a31 abfe bf38725d6e54  101910f 412

I have a question about the ingredient "1/2 cups light corn syrup" on the recipe "Salted Pumpkin Caramels" from cheese1227.

asked by alicschmidt over 6 years ago

Yes, it should be fine.

Lyles is partially inverted syrup - meaning it's a combination of sucrose syrup with glucose and fructose. It's less likely to crystallize than pure sucrose (i.e. common sugar), but it's not as inverted as corn syrup so there will be a greater risk of your caramels crystallizing. I'd consider adding the lemon juice with the sugar and syrup to help invert more of the sucrose to help prevent problems. I also like cooking these caramels to 244º or 245º - they're a little soft at 240º IMO.

Thanks, hardlikearmour, for a much more thorough answer than mine!

cheese1227

Yes, I have tested it with Lyle's Golden and it works well. They are slightly softer though and I refrigerate them.