🔕 🔔

Help! Daughter's birthday dinner tonight: she has requested fettuccine Alfredo. What else should I serve? She specified NO FISH!

I am planning to make fennel and blood orange salad from the NYT Cookbook to serve with it....there will be children, adults, and grandparents present, so we need a little meat.

asked by Waverly about 6 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Why don't you add some bacon or pancetta to the pasta? It's such a hearty dish, I can't imagine eating a whole separate meat dish with it. The rest of your menu sounds great, but I'm biased... :)

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

How about some crispy coated chicken breasts? http://www.food52.com/recipes... or http://www.food52.com/recipes...

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd probably just do a simple grilled chicken breast, which could be sliced and served over the pasta for those who want meat. For me the pasta and salad would be plenty!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I also think you want to stick to something pretty light with Fettuccine Alfredo. If you want a separate dish (instead of adding pancetta to the pasta - which would be great) - you could do a simple sauteed chicken paillard or maybe veal scallopini with lemon. Very old school, but still delicious.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Chicken here too! Love it with a simple grilled chicken.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Pasta, salad and Italian bread would be enough for me; if you like the idea of grilled chicken, this has been a mainstay in our family forever, you don't have to marinate it for so long ... http://food52.com/recipes...

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

My daughter's favorite is a spicy chicken strips..."lightly" blackened. The contrast to the Alfredo sauce is nice.