What cheese do you like best with pears, after a meal? My host mother in Florence always served Bel Paese, but I can't get it here.

Thank you. ;o)

asked almost 7 years ago

Good aged Stilton. A glass of port doesn't hurt either.

JessicaBakes

I love goat cheese, but let's be honest...I'd eat goat cheese with just about anything!

ATG117

I'd go with a blue cheese or brie, even if brie is not as popular these days. It's still one of my favorites.

Point Reyes Blue was my summer discovery... I wish I could have some right now. It's gorgeous.

Just wanted to add, the Point Reyes Farmstead Blue website lists stores where it can be found.

With pears I would suggest either taleggio or robbiola or maybe a washed rind epoisse. But Humbolt Fog from California is pretty damn nice. And I'll admit I'm more of a cheese guy than a wine guy.

Savorykitchen

there's a cheese from Vermont Butter and Cheese Company called Cremont that is fab with pears - it's creamy, nutty, and if it's old enough swoon-inducing runny.

dymnyno

One of my favorite cheeses with pears is Pt Reyes Blue. Bel Paese is relatively bland so a cheese sorta similar would be Cowgirl Creamery's Pierce Point.

I love Cowgirl Pierce Point but it is one of their "seasonal" cheeses, wrapped in nettles. I think it should be in season now.

Bevi

Bayley Hazen Blue from Jasper Hill Farms in Vermont is a sentimental favorite of mine. But so is Cabot Extra Sharp.

healthierkitchen

I love the suggestions for blue and Stilton, especially for this season, but if you can find a really yound pecorino toscano from Italy, it is fabulous with pears and a little honey (acacia maybe?) drizzled over top. I can sometimes get this at WF but have often bought it in Italian markets

Helen's All Night Diner

My hands down favorite is an aged gouda...

LLStone

I couldn't agree more - aged gouda.

bella s.f.

Another vote for the bleu/blue cheeses. Love Stilton as well as Point Reyes blue, which I know you can get. Add some dried cranberries and toasted walnuts to the plate. A thinly sliced walnut levain is also a wonderful addition. Enjoy!

Cambazola!

FYI I just discovered the magazine "Culture" which is entirely devoted to cheese. I believe it's a quarterly as opposed to monthly pub. Pretty damn cool.

beyondcelery

Here's another vote for that aged gouda. Thinly sliced gruyere is also nice, especially with some roasted hazelnuts added.

meganvt01

We have a lovely soft goat cheese with flecks of black truffle here in Maryland - its called Truffle Tremor. I love it with juicy pears - at room temperature its more runny than brie but just as creamy.