A question about a recipe: Rosti with Gravlax, Caper Berries and Horsradish Cream

D25e3bbf 16f1 43d9 9cd8 9fe05b58a4e5  2017 0313 rosti with gravlax caper berries and horseradish cream julia gartland 401

I have a question about the recipe "Rosti with Gravlax, Caper Berries and Horsradish Cream" from thirschfeld. Whenever I shred potatoes for pancakes, they always turn ugly brown ...and for parties, I can't shred right at the last minute...what do you do?

asked by loubaby about 7 years ago

two-foodies-we-r

Just use tap water. Cut potatoes, submerge in water and place in fridge till ready to use. They will stay bright and not turn brown or gray.

thirschfeld

If you want to do them in advance shore them in water or you could bake potatoes the day before, cool them in the fridge then peel and grate. If you bake the potatoes it makes for a very tender rosti

Panfusine

Shred them into water with some lemon/lime juice added. it slows down oxidation.

In recipes including onions (not this), alternate grating potatoes and onions. That helps too. Squeeze well in a kitchen towel to remove liquid.