🔕 🔔

Cleaning portabello mushrooms

I purchased some sliced portabello mushrooms today. I know you'd typically clean out the gills...but when they're sliced like this-do I leave the bit of gill left on or do I try to trim it off?

asked by skittle almost 6 years ago

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

I do not trim them...if you were going for a "clean" look, you could use white button mushrooms without the work, but also without as much flavor!

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

I never clean the gills...to me, not worth it!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I don't clean them unless they have little bits of dirt attached, and then just brush them. Leave on the 'gills'.
While you mentioned they're sliced, the only time I do 'clean' out the big caps..is when I stuff them.
Using a 'tomato shark", or melon baller, or grapefruit spoon to scoop out the gills.
But I save those and incorporate into the stuffing mix.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I don't remove the gills. (haven't made stuffed mushrooms yet). Against all advice, I do wash or soak them. I spin dry very well and/or pat with paper towels to get rid of excess water.