favorite canned chicken broth

I know this is anathema to most people here, but I use canned chicken broth. A lot. I don't love the brand that I use though--any suggestions?

asked by brooklynite about 7 years ago

Blissful Baker

You're right that you'll be getting lots of replies, trying to convince you to make your own. In a pinch though, I like Organic Better than Bouillon instead of canned broth. I'm in good company too, as the fabulous & famous Wednesday Chef (Luisa Weiss) agrees! .. http://www.thewednesdaychef...

wssmom

I do use Better Than Bouillon; also Swanson's Organic Free Range broth (in a box).

wssmom

phyllis

I use Swansons low sodium chicken broth (not soup). I don't always have home-cooked on hand when I need it.

rldougherty

I primarily use Swanson's low sodium, but if Progresso low sodium is on sale for cheaper, I buy that and think it is comparable to Swanson's. I think making your own broth is great, but I live in an apartment have limited freezer space, so I do what I can. Personally, when I blog, I always list low-sodium chicken broth rather than homemade because I want to encourage people to cook, not put up what might seem like a barrier to the reader.

flgal

If you have a Trader Joes near you, their boxed broth is quite good.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I used to use the Better than Bouillon, but have recently discovered Penzy's version of the same....waaay better and takes up less space than endless boxes/cans of broth.

brooklynite

Thank you all. I know homemade is much better, but the volume of broth I use is disproportionate to the number of chickens I can boil! I also don't have much freezer storage space. Love the bouillon idea, but will also try the low sodium versions you all mention as well.

ATG117

I don't like using bought chicken broth because of the issues I have with unethically raised chickens. So when I don't feel like making broth or subbing with a vegetable broth, I go to my trusted market and pick up some stock that they make and sell. I realize this is a more expensive option, but I suppose everything in life is a tradeoff. The other benefit, it's just as good as homemade if you get a good quality one.

lorigoldsby

I am a huge fan of homemade stock but I always have a box or two of the Aldi's brand "Fit & Active" because it is much lower in sodium, no MSG and is fine for a pinch. The Penzy's brand is delicious but I can't tolerate that much sodium--it is quite high.