Anyone with a good recipe for chayote (mirliton)?

I have several chayote (those oblong green things that look sort of like light green, slightly flattened avocados) and know that in Louisiana they are commonly cooked until tender and stuffed. Does anyone know of another good way to prepare them?

asked by petitbleu about 7 years ago

They are in the same family as summer squash and melons, so whatever you do with summer squash you can do with chayote. Roast them and make a salad with couscous, make a soup - here is an interesting recipe for roasting them. http://www.adoctorskitchen.com/archives/roasted-chayotes-2

tjioe_chi

I've used them to make tasty Asian lettuce wraps. Chayote is just a hint of sweetness so it's pretty tasty. Dice them up along with carrots, onions, and whatever other veggies you like (peas, corn etc). Cook with ground meat (either chicken or pork).

petitbleu

This sounds wonderful. Thanks for the response!

wietje

Slice them into matchsticks, stir fry with sliced garlic and serano chilies, and pinch of salt.