A question about a recipe: Spicy Black Bean and Quinoa Salad

7680c776 bc96 4807 b7be ff0ab60d48c1  black bean quinoa salad

I have a question about the recipe "Spicy Black Bean and Quinoa Salad" from lastnightsdinner. (Sorry all--slow response time.) Does it have to be red quinoa? Please help me understand the differences between the quinoa varieties. I am using Earthy Delights Organic whole grain quinoa, and it is ivory...

asked by marynn over 6 years ago

lorigoldsby

I think the recipe calls for the red quinoa because of its color.

I agree with lorigoldsby. Notice, too, that the photo on the recipe page is of white quinoa ; ). Use what you have. The benefit of the quinoa in the recipe is that it is extremely high in complete protein, meaning that it doesn't need to be combined with anything else in order to achieve the protein benefit (like beans and rice together, for example). It will be delicious and beautiful regardless of the color of the quinoa.

There are some differences -- the darker quinoa has a deeper flavor and often takes a little longer to cook. Just look for the thread-like tails to indicated doneness, and if you use rice proportions, most or all of the water should be absorbed. Hope you enjoy(ed) it!