A question about a recipe: Spicy Black Bean and Quinoa Salad

I have a question about the recipe "Spicy Black Bean and Quinoa Salad" from lastnightsdinner. (Sorry all--slow response time.) Does it have to be red quinoa? Please help me understand the differences between the quinoa varieties. I am using Earthy Delights Organic whole grain quinoa, and it is ivory...

• Posted by: marynn
  • November 7, 2011
7680c776 bc96 4807 b7be ff0ab60d48c1  black bean quinoa salad
Recipe question for: Spicy Black Bean and Quinoa Salad

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby November 7, 2011

I think the recipe calls for the red quinoa because of its color.

boulangere November 7, 2011

I agree with lorigoldsby. Notice, too, that the photo on the recipe page is of white quinoa ; ). Use what you have. The benefit of the quinoa in the recipe is that it is extremely high in complete protein, meaning that it doesn't need to be combined with anything else in order to achieve the protein benefit (like beans and rice together, for example). It will be delicious and beautiful regardless of the color of the quinoa.

susan g November 7, 2011

There are some differences -- the darker quinoa has a deeper flavor and often takes a little longer to cook. Just look for the thread-like tails to indicated doneness, and if you use rice proportions, most or all of the water should be absorbed. Hope you enjoy(ed) it!