Anti-gravity grains: how can I prevent quinoa from sinking to the bottom of my salad?

Looking for a magic trick, folks. I've concocted a DELICIOUS lunch salad - think kale, quinoa, cherry tomatoes, pickled red onion, parmesan, and pita chips, all topped with a creamy Caesar/pesto dressing and finished with a bit of sriracha - but no matter how I mix it, I always end up with a bunch of dressing-drenched grains at the bottom of the bowl. Has anyone tackled this problem before, or am I the only one bothered by these lost comrades?

• Posted by: Sarah O
  • February 8, 2018

Voted the Best Reply!

AntoniaJames February 8, 2018

Toss the quinoa separately with a bit of dressing and herbs in its own bowl. Dress and plate the salads without it; sprinkle the quinoa on top. This works well with garlic / herb / cheese toasted bread crumbs and croutons, too - though you'd only drizzle the tiniest bit of dressing on those, if at all. ;o)

P.S. No, you're not the only one. I find the extra 1 - 2 minutes it takes to plate a salad thoughtfully --arranging the star ingredients and taking any special properties into account -- is well worth the effort. For example, when red beets are included, they are always lightly dressed and carefully placed, one by one, on the plated salad right before serving. I don't care for the magenta dressing everywhere and pink vegetables that otherwise ensues.

Exbruxelles
Exbruxelles February 9, 2018

There's no way to keep the grains and dressing from going to the bottom of the bowl. Gravity works. Toss the salad in a bowl, serve on a plate or platter.