What to serve with pulled pork besides cole slaw?

I posted this question the other day but didn't get any responses :(. I'm trying to figure out what to serve with pulled pork besides cole slaw? All I can think of is baked beans or mac and cheese. Doesn't sound right. Other ideas? Thanks.

asked by Jocelyn Grayson over 6 years ago

mrscorkhoarder

cornbread!

Debra Krahn Williams

Brussels sprouts are great!

patti.bigsby

How about Roasted Spiced Sweet Potatoes and Pears?

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Green beans and potatoes are always great choices. The potatoes could be either baked or french fried.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Paula Deen makes a good green beans with new potatoes recipe with bacon...very good and very southern

http://www.foodnetwork...

lastnightsdinner

Pickles, beans, and potato salad are my top choices - oh, and cornbread, for sure.

Grits and gravy. Hush puppies for sure.

Helen's All Night Diner

Baked beans, macaroni & cheese, corn bread, collard greens, pickles, and several kinds of pie! Don't forget the sweet tea...

hobbybaker

Carrots and radishes roasted with olive oil and thyme. A perfect fall side for just about anything! And if you don't like radishes (I most certainly do not), you just might like them roasted--delicious!

Elizabeth Sulliv

This is the way I think, fresh flavors to offset the overlooked (let's face it) greasy food.

Jocelyn Grayson

Thanks for all the suggestions. I never did get any e-mails with these responses, so I'm glad I kept the window open.

Old Fashioned Mayo-based dressing Potato Salad, Bread and butter pickles, homemade buns for the pulled pork, if you like, and cobbler for dessert (made with whatever fruit is in season).

garlic&lemon

Jocelyng: Do you want a rich Southern meal? If so, these suggestions are great! But pulled pork is so delicious that it will go with a lighter meal as well. Big green salad, crusty bread or cornbread or tortillas, fruit and assorted veggies are delicious with it, too. I love cobbler or pie with it, but sorbet would be a great finish as well. No need to get locked in when choosing sides!

ATG117

I'd second the cornbread suggestion. If you wanted to lighten things up a bit, what about a marinated salad. In the summer I might suggest tomatoes with thinly sliced red onions and parley marinated in a balsamic vinaigrette. But given that it's fall, I might go for some slightly blanched cauliflower and carrots and very thinly sliced red onions, also marinated in a tangy vinaigrette, topped with slivered almonds and chopped parsley.

wtbryce

Collards; beans; slaw are all you need.

Shalini

I'd say a nice fennel and orange salad to cut the richness of the pulled pork but agree with its sweet notes. And how about white beans, french-style, boiled the night before and finished with creme fraiche and celery? Kind of slaw-like, both of them, they don't only need to go with roast pork.

yo
yo

Baked beans and potato salad

Come to think of it chilled Pepsi Cola isn't bad either.

When I drink soda, Pepsi has always been my drink of choice. I was a Pepsi Challenge Girl, back in day(!) where we would have Pepsi and another cola drink (blind taste test) for people to try. The point was for them taste both and tell me which they preferred. People would be very adamant about the cola soda and said that was the only soda they drank. Guess what? 99% of the time those people chose the Pepsi! Lots of people were surprised and said they were changing over to Pepsi! I had a blast!

Kristin

Sweet potato
Fries !!!

M.McAwesome

Make it into tacos! And have Mexican or Cuban style side dishes. Chile Black beans and yellow rice come to mind.

Madeline Sporleder

Home made french fries. Works well for me.

Madeline Sporleder

Home made fried Onion Strings.

lisabu

Pickled red onions

Eliz.

Other suggestions including the obvious: potato chips and beer. Fancier than a bag of really good store-bought chips? Domenica Marchetti's sea salt & rosemary sweet potato chips; recipe can be found online. Homemade onion naan. Sweet potato biscuits or rolls. Mustard greens. Young turnips sliced thin and stewed with their greens. Mashed rutabagas with lots of butter, black pepper and wrinkled bits of mushrooms cooked so long that they shrivel (James Beard-style). Scalloped potatoes. Union Square Cafe's hashed Brussels sprouts. Diane Kennedy's amazing, simple recipe for pork shoulder (Genius Recipe-class) is bright with orange, so consider lots of orange zest and orange juice in a salad dressing for a kale and avocado salad. Jicama and avocado salad with cilantro, red onion and lime. Thin wedges of raw kohlrabi and watermelon radish, maybe with a creamy dip that complements the pork.

Charon

Fennel and orange slices with a splash of raspberry vinaigrette

JillFig

I think a nice cheesy polenta or grits would be awesome!

Melissa

Corn pudding. Yum one of my favorite sides for any BBQ or fish fry.

angel

im making pulled pork tonight and I am making salt potatoes and corn to go with it :) hope that helps

WileyP

Serve the pulled pork topped with the cole slaw on a potato roll, a bowl of hoppin' John, hush puppies and a big dill spear. What time should we be there?

Michelle Young

Corn on the cob

lynne

hominy might be nice if you're looking for a starch. elotes or sweet corn is a must. a black bean salad could be nice too.

Pulled pork sandwiches NEED to have a juicy, big, cold, crispy, dill pickle on the side! For me, potato chips and they have to be kettle chips, thick and crunchy.

Nora

Lots of great ideas but here in NC, if we went to that picnic, we'd be wondering, where's the slaw?

William H Stoneman

Hushpuppies and Cole Slaw!!

Lucia Kotze

Delicious creamy mashed patotoes

Lucia Kotze

Delicious creamy mashed patotoes

mstv

Potato Salad