Difference between quinoa and sprouted quinoa.

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 7 years ago

Sprouted quinoa is simply quiona that has been soaked in water, rinsed several times, spread on trays, and in about 48 hours the quiona sprouts. Like alfalfa sprouts etc. Used in salads. Easy to sprout and be sure to follow the recipe exactly. http://www.quinoatips.com...

linzarella

I've also noticed that the brand of sprouted quinoa that I buy tastes nuttier and gets more browned and toasty flavored when I cook it. Not sure if it has to do with the sprouting or just this particular brand of quinoa, but I'm a convert.

There seem to be 2 sides to an answer -- either fresh sprouted, eaten as is; or sprouted and dried, eaten cooked. Usually sprouting develops the nutritional potential, as growth factors are released.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Ha. I had sprouted quinoa for lunch- in tabbouleh. I bought it on sale at Fairway yesterday. (I am not yet sophisticated enough to sprout it myself at home.) The difference to me is that you can eat sprouted quinoa raw. The package indicated to soak for 30 to 40 minutes but that was wrong. I ended up soaking for about two hours. The grains were still slightly crunchy but that worked in the tabbouleh alongside the tomato, cucumber, parsley and lemon. It was so good! And no pot to clean.

Sprouted grains and legumes are easier to digest and deliver more nutrients than their cooked counterparts.

brenda

Most seeds have a compound called phytic acid that protects the seed (and locks away the nutrients) until the seed is germinated - so when we eat non germinated seeds the nutrients aren't available to us. If you do not have time to sprout (usually 2 - 3 days), you can soak seeds and/or grains form7 hours in acidified water.