🔕 🔔

809482fb a0a2 405f b0c0 61e971bf9f97  shrekfruit 002

Celeriac. You know the root vegetable that looks like Alton Brown. I have my own seasonal favorites, but I'm curious how others use it. I'm not looking for full recipes, just general ideas and themes (I don't follow recipes anyway). My nickname for it is Shrekfruit.

asked about 7 years ago

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

I love it french fried and one of the best soups I've had recently was a purée of shrekfruit and fingerling potatoes.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I tend to use it mashed or pureed with potatoes.

I like to boil it in roughly half-inch cubes, then make a bechamel and whisk some gruyere into it. Put the celery root in a baking pan sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme leaves, pour the sauce over the top, top with bread crumbs, and bake until it gets browned on top.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I like it raw in a celery root remoulade salad. It is an easy recipe and very satisfying. It is a staple in France. The dressing is mayonnaise, lemon juice, and vinegar. I know you don't follow recipes, but Ina has an easy one:

http://www.foodnetwork...

Yep, Bevi, that's already one of my favorite ways. I love using it. And sometimes I think people don't buy it in the supermarket because they don't know what do with it or because it looks like Alton Brown, or that thing that Tom Hanks was playing with in Cast Away.

13396e3c bb40 4b40 9900 579f74cbabff  si

I like it roasted with other root vegetables. I just mix a bunch of root vegetables together with some sliced red onion, olive oil, lots of finely minced garlic, minced fresh herbs (or dried) -- thyme is a must though. Bung into a hot oven and roast. It works in soups too, especially celeriac and mussel soup. Yum!

95faff30 cc53 4c8e 8c8d 9b770dc26f9e  dscf2141

I like it roasted with herbs de provence and olive oil. Then seasoned with salt, good white wine vinegar and a little more olive oil. I usually separately cook beets the same way, and serve them together. It makes for good contrast.

Celery root needs a great marketing campaign. People buy prepared celery root salad in France the way shoppers buy prepared potato salad and cole slaw in this country!!

C405edfb eff8 43c8 8d2a 9c901ad00568  ozoz bw january2014

I love it in mash, in a remoulade - with apple and also in soups. See http://www.kitchenbutterfly...

4f98639e b8b3 42cd 9b01 ec8a503c5fdd  2010 09 15 14.22.07

It really adds depth of flavor to chicken or vegetable broth. Just add several cut and peeled pieces when making the stock.

Oh, just make a hash with it.

4ff4bc51 9589 4139 97b1 ec9c72e0202e  hash

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Jeez, pierino, now every time I see Alton I'll think of you and Shrek.

I was going to suggest a remoulade or french fries, but Stockpot won me over. It looks like it's make a great side dish with french bread and some good coarse sausage.

I do a straightforward braise with thick slices. Love the stuff, but only get small, pathetic specimens here in SA...

Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

The celery root is a key flavor component of my mixed root vegetable puree. It's always a favorite with my guests and leftovers can be used as a start for a nice soup: Mixed Root Vegetable Puree

Beautiful color and fall flavors, this is always included on my Thanksgiving menu.

~3 lbs peeled rutabagas, cubed
~1 lb peeled celery root, cubed
~1 lb red potatoes, large (2”) chunks
~ ½ lb peeled carrots, 1” pieces

¾ cup cream or half & half
1 stick unsalted butter
1 small clove garlic, chopped
1 small bundle fresh thyme

Salt and pepper to taste

Boil vegetables together in salted water until all are cooked through -- or fork tender. [Potatoes could be omitted, but they give an extra creaminess to the puree.]

Meanwhile:
Heat cream, butter, garlic and herbs to just below simmer and hold at that heat while vegetables cook.

Drain vegetables. Remove thyme bundle from cream and mix together. Puree with immersion blender until smooth. Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Vary ratios of vegetables, or herb bundle for different flavors and/or substitute chicken or vegetable broth for lower fat option.

P.S. Rutabagas are wonderful. They need a marketing campaign too!

Thanks folks. I've come away with some great ideas for one of my favorite roots.

Great question. I put it in split pea soup, with a good handful of Chinese celery leaves. Adds great flavor. I also put it in my richest stocks when they are destined for hearty winter bean-based or beef + vegetable soups and stews, for the same reason. Couldn't cook without it, starting in mid to late October, depending on when autumn begins here . . . ;o)

P.P.S. Yeah, I know you specified no recipes, but I don't really use one for this. I just had to write it down for other peeps.

Ead63f8f 0557 4ebc 96b9 c8ed4d855263  65158 10200930358201562 954577392 n

Love, love, love it! Best version I've ever had was made by Fergus Henderson and true to form, it was as simple and pure as can be. He tossed batons of celeriac in a remoulade of equal parts (I think) creme fraiche and strong Dijon mustard, then spooned it next to a buffalo tenderloin bresaola.