how do I cook a 3 lb turkey thigh?

We've ordered a kosher, pasture raised, frozen turkey thigh for Thanksgiving (there are just 2 of us) and now that it should be arriving today or tomorrow, we're realizing that we don't know how to cook it! Yes, we plan on defrosting it in the fridge on the Tuesday morning before turkey day (and running it under the tap if it's still frozen on Thursday morning). But how to we COOK it?

Kosher (dairy-free) and nut-free ideas only please.

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci November 10, 2011

There are plenty of options! I searched "turkey thigh" on the FOOD52 recipe database and this is what came up:

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci November 10, 2011

oof. Those options aren't all appropriate. Maybe tuck some herbs you like under the skin, salt and pepper all over, and roast. Baste with the drippings throughout.

garlic&lemon
garlic&lemon November 10, 2011

I agree with Kmucci. I often roast turkey thighs for dinners throughout the year. Chop the herbs with garlic and lemon zest, combine them with olive oil to make a paste, tuck under the skin, and (very important) anchor down the edges of the skin with toothpicks to control skin shrinking and meat drying out. Be careful about salting, because kosher birds are already salted. Start in a hot oven (425 @ sea level or 450 @ 5000 Ft or more) for 20 minutes and turn it down to 350 (or 375). You can baste with the drippings if there are enough, or use a mixture of white wine and olive oil. Use a meat thermometer to make sure it is done but not over cooked. Dark meat is generally 170 @ sea level, 165 @ high altitude. I take it out 5 degrees before it is done, tent it with foil, and let it rest for 20 minutes. It will continue to cook during the resting time.