Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Ideas for a quick shrimp dinner

I need to make a quick dinner tonight (say, no longer than 45 minutes) and would really prefer not stopping by the store, so I have to cook with what I have. I was thinking doing rice and shrimp with a sauce, but I'm struggling with the sauce. I'd prefer something creamy, but of course, I don't have any milk. I do have flour, butter, white wine, your various wine vinegars, olive oil and about 4 cups of chicken stock. Any ideas? I've also got onions, lots of condiments to give flavorings (I always love spicy!) and garlic.

asked by WannabeBaker about 5 years ago
39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

This shrimp gumbo is a great weeknight dinner!

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Thanks, Kristy! Here are another couple of mine that work really well and can be elegant enough for a dinner with friends:
http://food52.com/recipes... (The second one)
http://food52.com/recipes...

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I know it's stepping outside of the Food52 arena, but Mark Bittman's Shrimp My Way from How to Cook Everything is just fantastic and about as quick to put together as making mac n cheese from a box (actually might be faster now that I think about it). Loads of garlic and cumin. It is a classic weeknight staple in our house. And if you don't mind a few extra minutes, throw it over pasta!

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

This is really, really simple and steps outside a ceam sauce and is so, so good. A Patricia Wells recipe. Takes 4 to 5 minutes.
16 t0 20 large shrimp in their shells (about 1 pound)
1/2 cup evo
4 plump garlic cloves minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes or to taste (we like 2 tsp)
Sea Salt
Rinse shirmp, pat dry. Large skillet heat oil. When oil is hot but not smoking add garlic, thyme crushed red peppers and shrimp. Toss to coat with ail, cook stirring occasionally just till shrimp turn pink about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer shrimp to warmed serving platter, pour sauce over the shrimp, spring lightly with salt. Serve with finger bowls and extra napkins for guests. Serve with crusty bread for soaking up the sauce.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Do you have skewers? Line up 6 shrimp like this )))))) put in two skewers like this =))))))=
Coat with a marinade. A vinegar/olive oil/garlic (Italian dressing). Or a soy/lemon/ginger powder dressing. (add a bit of onion and oil if you want to blend..just a bit of fresh onion and up the ginger element and lemon for the dipping sauce--add a touch of sherry or sake and a dash of mustard to hold it together).
Or blend up some canned pineapple with soy/ginger/garlic. (reserve some pineapple to blend for dipping sauce with garlic and onion powder).
Broil or grill the shrimp.

On food52--- "spicy shrimp"by Helen. I make this often---it's great, quick,easy---I don't grill the shrimp, saute and use marinade over rice.

This doesn't require stock or anything but it's fantastic.
Toast some panko bread crumbs along with some chopped garlic, parsley and thyme in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Butterfly your shrimp and drizzle some melted butter on top. Dredge the shrimp in the toasted panko mixture.
Then roast on 350 till done.
I serve them with cocktail sauce but they're so good you can even eat them plain.

I heartily agree with Niknud. Mark Bittman's Shrimp My Way is one of my staples. I do think that the dish is more complete when finished with the juice of one lime.

Fad4ee23 115a 472e 8da3 c673f9c161c5  headshot

highly recommended and very easy: http://www.foodnetwork...

Melt 1 stick of unsalted butter (no substitutes) in a large roasting pan along with two cloves (or three, depending on your taste) of chopped garlic and juice of one lemon in a 350 oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until melted. After butter melts, add a pound of large shrimp already cleaned and deveined. Sprinkle a 1/4 tsp. of red pepper flakes, (optional) salt and pepper to taste. Put pan back into oven for about 5 minutes or until the shrimp turns pink and is done. Make sure the shrimp is all covered with the butter and pan juices. Remove from oven and plate with fresh chopped parsley. Serve over steamed rice.