Can I ask a guest to bring a something specific dessert?

I know my friend is a good cook. But she's probably looking forward to a day off with her husband and daughter on Thanksgiving. She did ask what she could bring. I'd like her to bring something homemade, otherwise what is the point? She'd probably be great at a vegetable side dish, (which I could frankly use), and makes a mean date-nut roll. Can I give her that choice? She comes from an interesting (Yemenite) background. Saying "bring what you want" wouldn't help, because I will be cooking all the traditional foods that we look forward to all year. So is it too much to ask for, say, "one of your yummy veg. side dishes, or else maybe the date roll, just let me know which you prefer?"

asked almost 7 years ago

sorry for the garbled title...just pretend it says "like dessert".

Dona

I would appreciate guidance on what dish to being. I think it's easier than trying to guess what to bring.

dymnyno

If you know the guest and know her/his capabilities, then I think you can be pretty specific like saying "that mud pie you made last time we were at you house was divine...can you bring that? After all they are good enough friends to be invited?

When I ask the host/hostess what I can bring, I love it when they make specific requests based on dishes they enjoyed that I have made for them. What a pleasure! And what a pleasure to only make one or two dishes instead of a whole meal every once in awhile!

I'm always glad for some guidance as to what to bring. I'm having Thanksgiving dinner on Friday with a friend's family (we both serve Thanksgiving dinner at a food bank on Thursday), and she said to bring my favorite side. That's pretty vague, so I asked if I could bring a pumpkin cheesecake, and got a big thumbs up. The moral of the story: never hesitate to suggest, most especially when it's a question of such a rich authentically ethnic possibility.