🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Lemon Meringue Pie (Bolivian style)-If topping with Whipped Cream instead of meringue would I have to bake longer

D0d0adbd c640 46f6 9203 861ba70401f4  dsc 0184

I have a question about step 4 on the recipe "Lemon Meringue Pie (Bolivian style)" from yella. It says:

"Remove the pie from the oven, and pour the meringue on top of filling mixture. Form little peaks with a fork on the meringue and sprinkle a pinch of lemon zest on top. Put the pie back in the oven. The pie is finished when the peaks have browned (~ 12 min but maybe less). "

asked by SueH almost 6 years ago

2458e6a2 8bc0 4127 ade7 7b4aeee937ac  dsc 0013

Hmm.. to be honest I have never tried with whipped cream and dont know if the same brown texture would happen... But i would say give it a try, checking on it every 5 minutes or so...and let me know what happens! Maybe other experienced bakers know more.... :)

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

Whip cream will not set and brown the way meringue does. If topping with whipped cream, you don't need to put the pie back in the oven so you can skip that part!

I'm sorry...I guess I should've been more specific. I wouldn't bake it after topping with the whipped cream, just didn't know if I would need to bake it longer prior, since it wouldn't have the additional oven time with the meringue.

Thank you Francesca...that is what I was getting at! Didn't want to bake the whipped cream, poor wording on my part!

Oh ok!! Yes... I would say bake it for an extra 7 minutes or so.... Just to make sure it is set and the crust is nice and crunchy :)