A question about a recipe: Lemon Meringue Pie (Bolivian style)-If topping with Whipped Cream instead of meringue would I have to bake longer

I have a question about step 4 on the recipe "Lemon Meringue Pie (Bolivian style)" from yella. It says:

"Remove the pie from the oven, and pour the meringue on top of filling mixture. Form little peaks with a fork on the meringue and sprinkle a pinch of lemon zest on top. Put the pie back in the oven. The pie is finished when the peaks have browned (~ 12 min but maybe less). "

• Posted by: SueH
  • November 17, 2011

yella
yella November 17, 2011

Hmm.. to be honest I have never tried with whipped cream and dont know if the same brown texture would happen... But i would say give it a try, checking on it every 5 minutes or so...and let me know what happens! Maybe other experienced bakers know more.... :)

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti November 17, 2011

Whip cream will not set and brown the way meringue does. If topping with whipped cream, you don't need to put the pie back in the oven so you can skip that part!

SueH
SueH November 17, 2011

I'm sorry...I guess I should've been more specific. I wouldn't bake it after topping with the whipped cream, just didn't know if I would need to bake it longer prior, since it wouldn't have the additional oven time with the meringue.

SueH
SueH November 17, 2011

Thank you Francesca...that is what I was getting at! Didn't want to bake the whipped cream, poor wording on my part!

yella
yella November 17, 2011

Oh ok!! Yes... I would say bake it for an extra 7 minutes or so.... Just to make sure it is set and the crust is nice and crunchy :)