🔕 🔔

Reheating gratins / making gratins in advance

I know reheated gratins are almost never as good as just-baked gratins, but in what way? What should I expect if I bake a potato or sweet potato gratin in the morning and reheat just before we have Thanksgiving dinner? That means it will sit for 4 hours, while the turkey is roasting, and then be reheated in the oven.

asked by halfasiangirl about 6 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

I actually find that a reheated gratin can be quite tasty! I usually bake mine not quite all the way and then reheat and finish cooking simultaneously before serving -- I find this keeps the potatoes from being mushy.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Totally agree with Merrill, especially on a day like Thanksgiving where you have SO much going on!

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

I go ahead & prep the gratin on Wednesday (cook the veggies, make the sauce & layer up the casserole) & refrigerate it unbaked. I then put it straight from the fridge to the oven on Thanksgiving day. That saves me time, but I have room in my oven for the gratin on T-Day. I don't know if you're thinking of time constraints or space limitations.

96a14a05 15da 42e2 8a19 f23e01dc2bbc  5254970837 532a2f2e67

Thanks guys! Very helpful.