Reheating gratins / making gratins in advance

I know reheated gratins are almost never as good as just-baked gratins, but in what way? What should I expect if I bake a potato or sweet potato gratin in the morning and reheat just before we have Thanksgiving dinner? That means it will sit for 4 hours, while the turkey is roasting, and then be reheated in the oven.

Merrill Stubbs November 17, 2011

I actually find that a reheated gratin can be quite tasty! I usually bake mine not quite all the way and then reheat and finish cooking simultaneously before serving -- I find this keeps the potatoes from being mushy.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen November 17, 2011

Totally agree with Merrill, especially on a day like Thanksgiving where you have SO much going on!

Blissful Baker
Blissful Baker November 17, 2011

I go ahead & prep the gratin on Wednesday (cook the veggies, make the sauce & layer up the casserole) & refrigerate it unbaked. I then put it straight from the fridge to the oven on Thanksgiving day. That saves me time, but I have room in my oven for the gratin on T-Day. I don't know if you're thinking of time constraints or space limitations.

halfasiangirl
halfasiangirl November 17, 2011

Thanks guys! Very helpful.