🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

Ec3c1da0 82a5 4554 9acc 36dfd77f86af  2016 1028 judy bird bobbi lin 11189

I have a question about the ingredient "Kosher salt" on the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. Would 'real salt' be ok to use, or do I need to purchase salt labeled as Kosher Salt? Thanks!

asked by AllisonP almost 6 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Table salt is finer than kosher salt, so teaspoon for teaspoon, you will end up with more granules of salt and the end product will be saltier. Russ Parsons recommends reducing the amount to 2 teaspoons per every five pounds of turkey for more finely ground salts like regular table salt. Hope you enjoy the Judy Bird!

Dcca139f 78d5 41a3 b57b 6d6c96424a1c  img 7818

Hi AllisonP -- I'd recommend kosher salt for the brine. To use table salt, you'd need to find a conversion chart online to convert 1 T diamond kosher salt to an equivalent amount of table salt. That said, I find the taste of kosher salt to be better and would recommend it here. If you can't find Diamond and end up with another brand (e.g., Morton's), make sure you look up the conversion. (Not all kosher salts are created equally.)