A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

I have a question about the ingredient "Kosher salt" on the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. Would 'real salt' be ok to use, or do I need to purchase salt labeled as Kosher Salt? Thanks!

• Posted by: AllisonP
  • November 17, 2011

Kristen Miglore November 17, 2011

Table salt is finer than kosher salt, so teaspoon for teaspoon, you will end up with more granules of salt and the end product will be saltier. Russ Parsons recommends reducing the amount to 2 teaspoons per every five pounds of turkey for more finely ground salts like regular table salt. Hope you enjoy the Judy Bird!

EmilyC
EmilyC November 17, 2011

Hi AllisonP -- I'd recommend kosher salt for the brine. To use table salt, you'd need to find a conversion chart online to convert 1 T diamond kosher salt to an equivalent amount of table salt. That said, I find the taste of kosher salt to be better and would recommend it here. If you can't find Diamond and end up with another brand (e.g., Morton's), make sure you look up the conversion. (Not all kosher salts are created equally.)