🔕 🔔

Brine or Not brine?

I brine a bird for Thanksgiving usually, but I just read the brining makes the bird rubbery. Is it true? Do you brine or not?

asked by mayuchico almost 6 years ago

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

Have a look at this Genius Recipes post on bringing birds: http://www.food52.com/blog... . We found this one to be juicy as can be and involves a very simple technique.

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

Here's a recent question on the same topic, with lots of opinions:
http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I always brine our turkeys and it makes a huge difference in taste and texture. Have not tried dry brining yet.
Started doing this in 2000 when I read an article in Cooks Illustrated. It is so worth the trouble.

1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

I am getting to Maui Tuesday afternoon, so I won't have 3 days to dry brine my turkey. So, I did a dry run dry brining a 5 pound turkey breast. I dry brined for only 24 hours and then roasted the turkey. It came out perfect. The only thing that I noticed that many would not like was that the skin was rather leathery. Freddy and I are not skin eaters so it was no problem for us.