🔕 🔔

Any good alternatives to using a ricer when making gnocchi?

asked by Sophie Hays almost 6 years ago

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Use a traditional potato masher and mash the hell outta them. Seriously, this does work. I make 12cups of gnocchi about once a month for a customer and I don't have a ricer. Every now and then I'll have little lumps of potato here and there and I just pick them out. It just requires a lot of mashing and arm muscles. It's also necessary to make sure your potatoes are completely boiled and soft. The potato masher won't break up partially cooked potato.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

A large dinner fork will work, too. Mash, mash, mash away.

Dcca139f 78d5 41a3 b57b 6d6c96424a1c  img 7818

A food mill works well too.

51833eca f5dc 40a2 b5fa 6d71e07c6d13  fb avatar

Bake your potatoes so you aren't adding more moisture to the potatoes. Then let them cool a bit so you can handle them comfortably, cut them in half and simply push them thru a sieve or fine strainer. Then snack on the skins! Yum!