Do you have to use cream of tartar to make a successful meringue cookie? I dont have any!

asked by HeviCooks over 7 years ago

TiggyBee

Well, it's a stabilizer as well as a helper to egg whites to give them as much rise as possible, but I think it's not entirely crucial to use it. I'd hate to steer you wrong, but I'm guessing it would be ok to leave it out. I'll cross my fingers for you!!

Soozll

Here's a link for substitutions for cream of tartar from Baking 911:
http://www.baking911.com...

Mr_Vittles

A little lemon juice will do the trick. You just need an acid to help stabilize the proteins in the whites. If they are not stabilized or become too hot, the proteins will denature and cause the dreaded weeps. A little white vinegar will also do fine.

I've been making meringues for ages and I never use cream of tartar--I think it adds an off-taste. Use a pinch of salt when you beat your egg whites instead. It will stabilize them and enable them to hold their shape--plus it enhances the other flavors in the meringue.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

will be fine without cream of tartar, go for it!!

Bevi

I never use cream of tartar either - just a tad of lemon juice.

Hilarybee

I rarely use ream of tartar. I think it has a metallic taste that I do not like. I generally use either lemon juice or salt, depending on the recipe.