The pie emoji is coming! Hear how we helped change history. »
🔕 🔔

My cranberry sauce needs to be sweeter, how do I incorporate more sugar into it?

I have a Dutch oven full of cranberry sauce (6 bags of cranberries in a spiced up zinfandel sauce) but I cut the sugar in the recipe by too much. How do I make it sweeter? I was thinking of a syrup made of more wine with brown sugar, burn off the alcohol, but do I add this to a cold or room temperature cranberry sauce or heat the whole thing up again?

asked by Josephsm over 5 years ago
39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

Adding maple syrup could be nice. I think it's a good idea to reheat it so all the flavors blend together, but it might be fine to just add some syrup and let it sit for a few days.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I think you can't go too far wrong here, so do whatever you find easiest. I'd probably sprinkle on some sugar and briefly reheat it. But your other options are likely to work well too.